The Matrix Redux (cont'd)

M. Junaid Alam redjaguar at attbi.com
Sat May 24 08:49:29 MDT 2003

I saw the movie last night and I didn't see anything progressive in it
either. There is a lot of talk about saviors and messiahs and the
age-old question of free will and determinism. And a lot of pretentious
pontification, especially that white dude near the end who is the
architect of the system. I liked that the cast was racially diverse,
though. I was also intrigued by the idea that the Oracle was not a
person but a rogue program within the system. And when the white dude
talked about Neo having 6 predecessors and having to make a choice
between extinction and restarting the system, that is an interesting
concept too: those rebelling against the Matrix are themselves caught up
in its failsafe reset program.

Though Neo escapes this 'damned if you do/ damned if you don't
scenario', doesn't everyone in Zion get slaughtered because of some
internal enemy agents' tripping up the resistance?  And who is that guy
lying on the table at the end clip? Is his survival meant to indicate
that _he_ is the One? Anyone who sat around long enough for the trailers
for Revolutions knows that Neo still appears to be the One. They had
RATM's 'calm like a bomb' at the credits, and on their soundtrack, which
I bought.