Ora Wise (was Re: Are Most Zionists Jewish in the USA?)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat May 24 13:18:21 MDT 2003

At 11:32 AM -0700 5/24/03, Adam Levenstein wrote:
>I think Yoshie hit the nail on the head by saying that Christian
>Zionism is the weak link in the chain. We (Atlanta Palestine
>Solidarity) have hosted a couple of ISM Truth Tour events in
>Atlanta, and have been fortunate to have Ora Wise come down with it.
>She points out that Christian fundamentalists are all for Israel
>because "once all the Jews go there, 2/3 of us will die and the last
>1/3 will convert." (She mentions this when ironically discussing how
>pro-Palestinian Jews are frequently accused of being "self-hating.")

If anyone is looking for a young Jewish activist speaker on the
question of Israel/Palestine, think about booking Ora Wise.  I had
the pleasure of working with her when she was a student at the Ohio
State University.  She helped found the Committee for Justice in
Palestine at OSU.  (We invited her back, along with Adam Shapiro,
Betty Shamieh, & Hatem Bazian [who couldn't make it to Columbus
because he was harassed at the airport and missed the plane], to
speak at the Palestine Awareness Week at OSU this year:
<http://www.osudivest.org/press.html>.)  Despite her youth, she is a
wonderful public speaker, with poise and charisma.

Ora is featured in a documentary _No Justice, No Peace_ (Dir. Lynn
Estomin), which presents "portraits of four Ohio college students of
different racial backgrounds who are active in a variety of issues
including the fight for equal education, affirmative action,
affordable housing, civil liberties, and women's rights; an end to
racial profiling and police brutality; and a solution to the
Israeli-Palestine conflict":
<http://www.filmakers.com/indivs/NoJustice.htm>.
--
Yoshie