The Matrix Redux (cont'd)

Jon Flanders Jon_Flanders at compuserve.com
Sat May 24 15:24:07 MDT 2003

<<Something that interest me, and is perhaps the biggest question is--
what impact will the movie have on people's consciousness? Will it lead
them more toward questioning and even opposing things as they are now,
or does it lead more toward a sense of helplessness and hopelessness?>>

Don't hold your breath. Neither. I can easily see this movie enjoyed by,
say, a convinced supporter of the Republican party or someone serving in
the military, as confirmation of the rightness of their world-view.

After all, in such a view, "humanity" is the besieged population of the
USA, surrounded by hordes of replicating aliens.

What particularly struck me was the scene where Link argues with his
wife about the length of his missions. I bet many military families
could identify with that.

And as I said before, the multi-racial cast simply assures the US
citizen viewer that the cause has to be just. Perversely, the white
agents assist in this as well. We're not prejudiced. The bad guys are
white!

Jon Flanders