Zionism

David Quarter davidquarter at sympatico.ca
Sun May 25 14:41:16 MDT 2003

> --- Les Schaffer <schaffer at optonline.net> wrote:
> >
> > but it seems to me -- comparing notes with Mike Friedman -- that the
> > choke hold of Zionism on Judaism IS relatively more recent than the
> > mid-40's to say the mid-60's.
>
> Choke-hold, yes. That seems to be mainly post-1967. (I'm not quite sure
> why.)

 It was during (and in the aftermath of) the '67 and '73 military
victories over the Arabs states that a growing number of Jews
embraced Zionism (or at least, profess more open support for the
state of Israel). This argument is made by Irving Abella, a well
respected Canadian professor of Jewish history at York University
(Toronto).

DOQ