The Matrix Redux (cont'd)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon May 26 14:19:11 MDT 2003

>anything insightful or relevant, is way, way beyond me.  What a piece of
>shit!!!!  If anyone who contributed positively to that discussion ever says
>anything to me about the value of discussing Zizek, I will know, in my heart
>of hearts, that we don't stand a fucking chance.
>
>Paul H. Dillon

What about the first Matrix?

Slavoj Zizek: THE MATRIX: THE TRUTH OF THE EXAGGERATIONS

What, then, is the Matrix? Simply what Jacques Lacan called "big Other,"
the virtual symbolic order, the network that structures reality for us. In
a properly paranoiac way, the film externalizes this virtual symbolic order
in the really-existing Mega-Computer. However, the strength of the film
resides not so much in this central thesis (what we experience as reality
is an artificial virtual reality generated by the "Matrix," the
mega-computer directly attached to all our minds), but the image of the
millions of human beings leading a claustrophobic life in water-filled
craddles, kept alive in order to generate the energy (electricity) for the
Matrix. So when (some of the) people "awaken" from their immersion into the
Matrix-controlled virtual reality, this awakening is not the opening into
the wide space of the external reality, but first the horrible realization
of this enclosure, where each of us is effectively just a foetus-like
organism, immersed in the pre-natal fluid...

full: http://lacan.com/matrix.html