re John Cleese and imperialist humour

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Wed May 28 15:40:01 MDT 2003

Dave wrote:

>I thought it was funny that Cleese, who I now hear has been an apologist
>for Brit imperialism, has been playing characters frantic at protecting
>English business from American transnationalism and also playing adman
>for a major U.S. consumer electronics chain.

One must be careful to confuse an actor with the work he does, although
in this case evidently there is a confluence. Danny Glover working for
WorldCom may be a high-paid worker, but in the end he's just a worker.
If he's rich enough to only work for companies or on movies whose
politics he approves of, more power to him, but if he isn't, he's equally
entitled to make a living just like the rest of us.