Statistics on the Nazi Holocaust

Jurriaan Bendien bendien at tomaatnet.nl
Sat Nov 1 00:14:53 MST 2003

As far as I know, the world Jewish population in 1939 was around the 16-18
mark in 1939. About half  lived in Europe (but significant numbers emigrated
in the 1930s), a third lived in the Americas, around 6 percent in Asia,
around 4 percent in Africa and one percent in Australasia. The precise
numbers are still disputed and revised today, but in Europe, I would say the
numbers of Jews killed or disappeared without trace and presumed killed were
approximately as follows (indication of magnitude by totals and
proportions):

Austria: 50,000 to 65,000 (between a quarter and a third)

Belgium:  24,000 to 29,000 (between two-fifths and three fifths)

Bohemia/Moravia: 78,000 - 80,000 (between two-thirds to four-fifths)

Britain: over a hundred

Bulgaria:  possibly some thousands but most were saved

Czechoslovakia (pre-Munich):  around a quarter million, of which Slovakia
71,000 (four-fifths)

Denmark 60: (around one percent)

Estonia: 1,500-2,000: (between a third and two-fifths; at least 210,000 in
all the Baltic states together)

Finland: 7 ( around one or two percent)

France: 64,000 to 90,000 (around a quarter)

Germany: 125,000 to 142,000 (between a third and half)

Greece:  58,000 to 67,000 (about 8 or 9 out of ten)

Hungary: 400,000 to 570,000 (including Northern Transsylvania - between
two-thirds and three quarters)

Italy: 7,500 to 8,000 (about a fifth or a sixth)

Latvia: 71,000 (over three quarters)

Lithuania: 143,000 (over four-fifths, about 9 out of ten)

Luxembourg: 700 to 1,950 (over half)

Netherlands: 100,000 to 106,000 (three-quarters)

Norway: some hundreds (between two-fifths and half)

Poland: 3 million (about 9 out of ten)

Romania: between 270,000 and 287,000 (between a third and half)

USSR:  around 1.1 or 1.2 million, possibly over a third (in Russia: about
100,000 or one in ten, in Ukraine: about 900,000 or around three-fifths, in
Bylorussia: about 245,000 or two-thirds; how many Jews lived in the USSR is
not clear to me, and some more recent estimates of Jewish deaths in
German-occupied territory are higher)

Yugoslavia: 60,000 to 63,000 (four-fifths)

So at the end of world war 2, around 5-6 million European Jews had been
killed. However, in fact significantly more non-Jews than Jews had actually
been killed as a result of the genocidal policies of the Nazis, especially
in the Polish death camps and notably Auschwitz and Treblinka. In my own
case, both Jewish and non-Jewish relatives of mine died, and both Jewish and
non-Jewish relatives survived.

For further reading: Ernest Mandel, "Material, social and ideological
preconditions for the Nazi genocide", in: Gilbert Achcar (ed.), The Legacy
of Ernest Mandel (London: Verso, 1999), pp. 225-231.

Jurriaan