Holocaust discussion, or, Let It Bleed

Einde O'Callaghan einde at gmx.de
Sun Nov 2 12:51:54 MST 2003

Jurriaan Bendien wrote:
> Einde wrote:
>
> Is it not possible to debate issues without descending into this sort of
> childish personal abuse?
>
> Yes. Abuse is basically anti-social, and anti-social behaviour generates
> abuse. I felt under personal attack again by miserable middleclass hypocrisy
> and descended into Leninism. I would have been better off using another
> word. You will notice that John Cox accused me of making the term
> "holocaust" a "worthless and false analogy", which is a very serious
> personal accusation going well beyond swearing, and he claimed I wrote "a
> silly polemic about 'morality", but he does not engage with what I said at
> all, proving thereby his statements are vacuous and have no content. In
> other words, he postures as an infantile leftist, and he should run away and
> play. Recommending that is not abuse.

My comment was general, not directed at you in particular - I just
happened to tag it onto your post, because it was the most recent one to
hand. In general I don't read contributions that are couched in such
terms and persistent offenders land in the killfile.

By that I don't mean that you are destined for my killfile, just that if
I feel that a particular contributor has a high abuse to analysis factor
then I have no wish to read that person's contributions.

So far I haven't killfiled anybody on this list because Louis usually
intervenes before things get out of hand.

Einde O'Callaghan