US propagandists on the "Battle of Ideas"

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 4 11:37:32 MST 2003

Perhaps they've been reading too many CIA reports on
Cuba with transcripts of Fidel Castro's speeches, but in
recent days Wolfowitz and Rumsfelt have begun using
the term "Battle of Ideas", the one which was first used
by Fidel Castro in describing conflicts between Cuba
and the United States in recent years. I was quite taken
aback when I heard Rumsfeld using this terminology
in an NPR story on Sunday. It should be interesting to
see what kind of ironic commentary comes out on this
in the Cuban media...

"Winning War on Terror Means Winning Battle Of Ideas, Wolfowitz Says"
Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz told Georgetown University
faculty and students today that the U.S. needs to do a better job of
explaining its polices abroad, "because that is part of winning the war
on terrorism - the battle of ideas."
http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Oct2003/n10302003_200310309.html

Defense Secretary Rumsfeld on ABC's "This Week"
"We need to find ways to make sure we're winning
the battle of ideas and that we're reducing the number
of terrorists . . . that are being taught to go out and
murder and kill innocent men, women and children."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54711-2003Nov2.html