I had all my history wrong, but my son cooks heaven-scented sauces

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Nov 4 12:25:18 MST 2003

Jeff Rubard wrote:
>You'll have to clarify who "Mr. Walker" is in this context; I know a
>Johnnie by reputation, and the president in question is Theodore Roosevelt
>(who is adored, 'cause he was big and bad by US standards).

That's a reference to an American named Thomas Walker, who made himself
President of Nicaragua in 1856. He had come there originally on behalf of
the USA and Great Britain, seeking to introduce slavery into the country.
Thousands of Nicaraguans lost their lives in a finally successful attempt
to get rid of him.