Private Lynch: the army lied about me

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Fri Nov 7 09:24:27 MST 2003

> Asked by the ABC News anchor Diane Sawyer if the military's
> portrayal of the rescue bothered her, Ms. Lynch said: "Yeah, it
> does. It does that they used me as a way to symbolize all this
> stuff. Yeah, it's wrong," according to a partial transcript of the
> interview to be broadcast on Tuesday.

Reduced Charges for Soldier Accused of Cowardice in Iraq
By JEFFREY GETTLEMAN

Published: November 7, 2003

FORT CARSON, Colo., Nov. 6 -- Army officials dropped cowardice charges
on Thursday in the case of a sergeant who said he had suffered from a
panic attack in Iraq but charged him with the lesser offense of
dereliction of duty.

[snip]

Sergeant Pogany said he had had a panic attack after he saw the body
of an Iraqi man shredded by American machine gun fire. It was around
midnight, Sept. 29, in Samarra, Iraq. A group of American soldiers
said they had shot the Iraqi man after he tried to attack their
convoy.

[snip]

Sergeant Pogany said he had had a panic attack after he saw the body
of an Iraqi man shredded by American machine gun fire. It was around
midnight, Sept. 29, in Samarra, Iraq. A group of American soldiers
said they had shot the Iraqi man after he tried to attack their
convoy.

"It was incomprehensible," Sergeant Pogany said. "I couldn't believe
that had once been a person."

After he was racked with dizzy spells and vomiting, Sergeant Pogany
went to members of the Army Special Forces with whom he was working
and told them he needed help. His supervisor's response, Sergeant
Pogany said, was to hand him two sleeping pills and tell him to go
away.

Over the next few days, Sergeant Pogany said, he begged commanders to
give him time to collect himself. In response, he said, he was
confined to his room and called a coward. He was then sent home.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/07/national/07SOLD.html