Hanan Ashrawi vindicated!

David Quarter davidquarter at sympatico.ca
Fri Nov 7 18:49:35 MST 2003

  She shouldn't by any means be given a heroe's status. She is a member
of many of the same neo-liberal think tanks to a large degree responsible
for deplorable condition of the Palestinians.

Support Sydney Peace Prize to Dr Hanan Ashrawi
- Support Sydney Peace Prize to Dr Hanan Ashrawi -

We strongly commend the Sydney Peace Foundation, under the auspice of
the University of Sydney, for awarding the Sydney Peace Prize to Dr Hanan
Ashrawi in recognition of “her commitment to human rights, to the peace
process in the Middle East and for her courage in speaking against
oppression, against corruption and for justice”.

Hanan Ashrawi grew up in the West Bank town of Ramallah, just outside
Jerusalem. She studied English Literature at the American University of
Beirut in Lebanon, after which she was awarded her PhD in the USA.

Dr Hanan Ashrawi became chair of the Department of English and then
Dean of the Faculty of Arts at Bir Zeit University, becoming more actively
involved in the Palestinian cause. She participated in speeches,
performances and demonstrations, and founded and led the Bir Zeit
University Legal Aid Committee and Human Rights Action Project.

>From 1991 through 1993 Dr Hanan Ashrawi served as the Official
Spokesperson of the Palestinian Delegation to the Middle East Peace
Process.

Dr Ashrawi was Minister for Higher Education and Research in the
Palestinian Authority. In 1998, she resigned to better pursue her human
rights advocacy. Dr Ashrawi remains a member of the Palestinian
Legislative Council

Dr. Ashrawi is a member of the Independent International Commission on
Kosovo and of numerous international advisory boards including the Council
on Foreign Relations, the World Bank Middle East and North Africa Region
(MENA), and the United Nations Research Institute for Social Development
(UNRISD). Dr Hanan Ashrawi is presently Secretary General of MIFTAH,
The Palestinian Initiative for the Promotion of Global Dialogue and
Democracy.

She is a declared advocate of non-violence and a peaceful two state
solution to the Palestine/ Israel conflict. Her own words speak most
eloquently of her commitment to justice and peace:

“The dynamics of violence, revenge and all other forms of dehumanization
seem to have taken hold as both Palestinians and Israelis are locked in a
fatal embrace that promises to plunge both peoples into the abyss

“How did we allow Sharon to formulate our agenda and dictate our timing by
responding to his calculated provocations specifically designed to draw us
within his cycle or retribution? Pain, grief and the impulse for revenge are
negative motivations that give rise to mutually destructive acts of
desperation. No relief and no remedy can be found in that course.

“Why and when did we allow a few from our midst to interpret Israeli military
attacks on innocent Palestinian lives as license to do the same to their
civilians? [February, 2002: “The (US) Progressive’]”

One cannot deny the commitment and resilience Dr Hanan Ashrawi has
demonstrated over the years in advocating for peace and human rights and
in building a healthy dialogue to resolve the long-term Israel/Palestine
conflict.
From:           	Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com>