Vicente Fox's Houston Visit

Tony Abdo gojack10 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 8 12:06:57 MST 2003

Probably the most hidden away news event in the world last week, was the
stealth visit of Vicente Fox to Houston.    I looked for ANY news items of
this event, but even most of the Houston paper's print edition article's
were held off the web site!     Why so?

Well, the answer is simple.     Vicente Fox was there specifically to meet
with Texas Republican Party big time donors, at 'Chente''s request!      The
Houston Chronicle print edition listed these guys out, and it included many
of Texas's most notorious corporate cheese... chicken magnate, 'folksy' Bo
Pilgrim of Pilgrim's Pride, and  Herman E. Butt of the super market dynasty
HEB being just two of them that I remember off the top of my head.

A lesson here for those that find any differences between the Democrats and
Republicans.     Just see how easy puppets like Vicente Fox go back and
forth begging for patronage between their patrons,Slick Willie Clinton, and
now Dub clone, Texas Governor, Rick Perry!    Maybe Mexico 'democracy' is
the model for the Iraqi 'democracy' now being worked on?     No word on if
Carlos Slim was in attending at the affair.......

Tony

Nov. 06, 2003

Text of Gov. Rick Perry's Remarks at Texas Luncheon Honoring President
Vicente Fox
Note: The governor frequently deviates from prepared text.

AUSTIN - It is the highest of honors to welcome a very special guest in a
spirit of friendship and kinship, the leader of the Mexican Republic and a
friend to the United States of America: President Vicente Fox.

President Fox, the 21 million people of Texas welcome you. We have the
highest admiration for you, your values and the tremendous nation you lead.
Having attended your historic inaugural ceremonies in December of 2000 where
the Texas Delegation was so warmly received at Los Pinos and throughout our
entire visit, I hope in some small way we can return your wonderful
hospitality. Toward that end, you will notice there are no Pepsi products on
our menu today.

As we gather today, we know there is more that joins us together than a
common border. Texas and Mexico are tied together by hundreds of years of
history, a blended culture and a shared future. Millions of our people are
descendants of the same blood and heritage, and we live and work each day in
a borderless marketplace.

Much will be made of our differences and much must be done to overcome any
differences, but we must never lose sight of the long-term vision: to create
new opportunities, new wealth and a better future for people who live on
both sides of our border.

The long-term answer to the immigration challenges that confront us is not
the building of structural barriers to keep people out, but the removal of
economic barriers that keep people from experiencing opportunity and
prosperity. When we allow for the free flow of commerce, energy and ideas,
jobs and opportunity are created on both sides of our shared border.

The passage of NAFTA has not validated the claims of zero-sum protectionists
who believe every job created abroad comes at the expense of existing jobs
at home. Free trade has meant new jobs and opportunities at home and abroad.
Just last year, despite a slowdown in the global economy, Texas exported $42
billion in products and services to Mexico alone - 4 ½ times the export
total to our second largest trading partner, Canada. The Port of Laredo
handled an astounding $32 billion of this export total, while serving as the
entry point for $47 billion in imports.

Since the implementation of NAFTA in 1994, cross-border trade between the
United States and Mexico has grown from a $100 billion industry to a $248
billion industry. There are now 12 industries in the Texas economy that
export more than $1 billion in goods and products to Mexico each year. We
export more than $10 billion each year in computer and electronics products
alone.

And yet we can expand our trade ties even more should Mexico encourage
further private development of its energy resources. With foreign investment
as one of the top priorities of the Fox Administration, I know that the
Texas energy sector stands ready to participate and partner in the
development of Mexico's vast oil, gas, and electric markets.

Through my proposal to build the Trans Texas Corridor, I envision an
extensive network of roads, rail lines, oil and gas pipelines, and electric
transmission lines that will connect Texas and Mexico to additional
resources and opportunities.

By unleashing the ingenuity of energy experts on both sides of the border,
we can create thousands of jobs, create new wealth for our people and
address Mexico's demand for electricity that is expected to double over the
next 17 years.

We also know that the resources we have been blessed with are in many ways
limited. That requires that we work together to develop them, conserve them
and share them.

When it comes to the apportionment of our shared water resources, I take the
same position as the Mexican state of Tamaulipas, which is also dependent on
the 1944 Treaty for water: Our farmers not only deserve the annual allotment
of water required under the Treaty, but a commitment to address the water
deficit that accrued for many years prior to the Fox Administration.

I would simply ask - in addition to the releases made in recent months -
that our friends from Mexico also produce a schedule of future releases that
will ensure full treaty compliance. And that you then satisfy the
requirements of the treaty by releasing what is owed. Such an act of good
faith will not only resolve this long-standing dispute, but will benefit the
very industry that many Mexican migrant workers depend upon to make a
living-the farming industry.

Let me say something about the migrant workers who cross our border to work:
They provide a real value to our economy and Texas benefits from the
contributions they make. I will support reforms to our guest worker laws
that allow migrant workers to contribute to our economy so long as the
security of our border is in no way compromised.

September 11th taught us that the very freedoms we cherish can be used
against us by terrorist organizations that respect neither the laws of our
society, nor the sanctity of human life.

I support the enforcement of immigration policy by our federal Department of
Homeland Security, as well as the use of high-tech tools like the laser-visa
program and the collection of biometric data at border crossings. We have an
inherent security need that requires that we be able to verify the identity
of individuals who seek entry into our country. Biometric identifiers, such
as fingerprints that can be read by high-tech scanners, make security more
effective by making identity fraud more difficult. Toward that end, I have
asked our own federal government to fully fund these security efforts so
that the important industry of trade and tourism is not adversely impacted.

Those who seek entry into our country to make a living, to visit relatives
or to experience all that America has to offer, I whole-heartedly welcome.
Our security checkpoints and immigration controls are intended to allow for
the orderly migration of people who visit our nation, or seek residency or
citizenship.

Every nation has a sovereign right to control its borders. As a nation of
immigrants, we welcome men and women who enter our nation to better their
lives and enrich our society. At the same time, while welcoming those who
come in good faith, we must also prevent the entry of those who intend us
harm.

There is much we must do together as partners and neighbors. Our shared
concerns do not stop with trade, water and immigration - they only begin
there. We know that pollution and disease recognize no international
boundaries. I would ask that we work together to develop cleaner energy
resources, cleaner air and water, and solutions for the many illnesses and
diseases that afflict our border regions. Cooperative ventures related to
border health, and educational opportunity, can only enhance the quality of
life along the border and beyond.

As neighbors who share a 1,200-mile border, I can envision no future
scenario where we can succeed if we pursue separate paths to the future. We
have a common future that requires a cooperative relationship. That is what
we seek today - not just for the benefit of our respective governments, but
for our entire peoples.

What binds us together is profoundly stronger than what could ever set us
apart. And that is illustrated most clearly in my mind by the many Texans
who trace their roots to Mexico.

Consuelo Gonzalez Amezcua, a poet and artist who was born in Piedras Negras
in 1903 and immigrated to Del Rio in 1913, once said with great pride, "Soy
Americana de descendencia Mexicana, y por dondequiera que voy se llevar con
dignidad, el nombre de los Estados Unidos y Mexico."

"I am an American of Mexican descent, and wherever I go I take with me the
dignity of the United States and Mexico."

Together as neighbors, partners, friends - we must forge a brighter future
for all who seek opportunity, happiness and dignity in our respective lands.
Thank you and may God bless the people of Texas and Mexico.

>From Beethoven to the Rolling Stones, your favorite music is always playing
on MSN Radio Plus. No ads, no talk. Trial month FREE!