Upcoming Demo at Yale

Craven, Jim jcraven at clark.edu
Sun Nov 9 14:05:17 MST 2003

Dear Friends,

Indian activists are mobilizing to converge on Yale to demonstrate against
Skull and Bones and to demand the return of all Indian remains and artifacts
currently being held in "The Tomb" of the Skull and Bones at Yale. The grave
robbing and holding of stolen remains (called "copping" or "crooking" in the
jargon of S and B and also known as felony theft in law) by S and B is ugly
in itself, revealing the ugly history of racism and eugenics by the S and B;
but it is also a metaphor and microcosm of a much broader macrocosm of
racism, elitism, connected power and hubris of the S and B types and types
of organizations. This was featured recently in a very sterile and
superficial treatment of Skull and Bones on "60 Minutes" about three weeks
ago. The iron is hot, now it is time to strike.

The upcoming date is to be announced and we hope that all people of
conscience in the area and able to attend this demonstration at Yale will do
so. Let's give them a visual to top the visual of little George and John
Kerry laying naked in a coffin jacking off and recounting their sexual
histories in such lurid detail as to also get their fellow Bonesmen off
during the ritualistic recounting or "Connubial Bliss" in dimly-lit parlors
of the S and B Tomb.

Jim C.

  William Huntington Russell (1809-85): Graduated Yale 1833. Founder of
Skull and Bones Society (or Russell Trust Association), which came to
dominate Yale. Founded prep school for boys, 1836. His secret organization
spread in the 1870s to Phillips Academy (AUV and the secret societies), the
Andover, Massachusetts prep school.

http://www.kmf.org/williams/bushbook/bush7.html
from a Skull and Bones Society internal history, entitled Continuation of
the History of Our Order for the Century Celebration, 17 June 1933, by The
Little Devil of D'121.
>From the war days [W.W. I] also sprang the mad expedition from the School of
Fire at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, that brought to the T[omb] its most spectacular
``crook,'' the skull of Geronimo the terrible, the Indian Chief who had
taken forty-nine white scalps. An expedition in late May, 1918, by members
of four Clubs [i.e. four graduating-class years of the Society], Xit D.114,
Barebones, Caliban and Dingbat, D.115, S'Mike D.116, and Hellbender D.117,
planned with great caution since in the words of one of them: ``Six army
captains robbing a grave wouldn't look good in the papers.'' The stirring
climax was recorded by Hellbender in the Black Book of D.117: ``... The ring
of pick on stone and thud of earth on earth alone disturbs the peace of the
prairie. An axe pried open the iron door of the tomb, and Pat[riarch] Bush
entered and started to dig. We dug in turn, each on relief taking a turn on
the road as guards.... Finally Pat[riarch] Ellery James turned up a bridle,
soon a saddle horn and rotten leathers followed, then wood and then, at the
exact bottom of the small round hole, Pat[riarch] James dug deep and pried
out the trophy itself.... We quickly closed the grave, shut the door and
sped home to Pat[riarch] Mallon's room, where we cleaned the Bones.
Pat[riarch] Mallon sat on the floor liberally applying carbolic acid. The
Skull was fairly clean, having only some flesh inside and a little hair. I
showered and hit the hay ... a happy man....''

George Bush's crowning as a Bonesman was intensely, personally important to
him. These men were tapped for the Class of 1948:
Thomas William Ludlow Ashley

Lucius Horatio Biglow, Jr.

George Herbert Walker Bush

John Erwin Caulkins

William Judkins Clark

William James Connelly, Jr.

George Cook III

David Charles Grimes

Richard Elwood Jenkins

Richard Gerstle Mack

Thomas Wilder Moseley

George Harold Pfau, Jr.

Samuel Sloane Walker, Jr.

Howard Sayre Weaver

Valleau Wilkie, Jr.

Bush's Own Bones

Among the traditional artifacts collected and maintained within the High
Street Tomb are human remains of various derivations. The following concerns
one such set of Skull and Bones. Geronimo, an Apache faction leader and
warrior, led a party of warriors on a raid in 1876, after Apaches were moved
to the San Carlos Reservation in Arizona territory. He led other raids
against U.S. and Mexican forces well into the 1880s; he was captured and
escaped many times.

Geronimo was finally interned at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. He became a farmer and
joined a Christian congregation. He died at the age of 79 years in 1909, and
was buried at Fort Sill. Three-quarters of a century later, his tribesmen
raised the question of getting their famous warrior reinterred back in
Arizona.

Ned Anderson was Tribal Chairman of the San Carlos Apache Tribe from 1978 to
1986. This is the story he tells at s8:
Around the fall of 1983, the leader of an Apache group in another section of
Arizona said he was interested in having the remains of Geronimo returned to
his tribe's custody. Taking up this idea, Anderson said that the remains
properly belonged to his group as much as to the other Apaches. After much
discussion, several Apache groups met at a kind of summit meeting held at
Fort Sill, Oklahoma. The army authorities were not favorable to the meeting,
and it only occurred through the intervention of the office of the Governor
of Oklahoma.

As a result of this meeting, Ned Anderson was written up in the newspapers
as an articulate Apache activist. Soon afterwards, in late 1983 or early
1984, a Skull and Bones member contacted Anderson and leaked evidence that
Geronimo's remains had long ago been pilfered--by Prescott Bush, George's
father. The informant said that in May of 1918, Prescott Bush and five other
officers at Fort Sill desecrated the grave of Geronimo. They took turns
watching while they robbed the grave, taking items including a skull, some
other bones, a horse bit and straps. These prizes were taken back to the
Tomb, the home of the Skull and Bones Society at Yale in New Haven,
Connecticut. They were put into a display case, which members and visitors
could easily view upon entry to the building.

The informant provided Anderson with photographs of the stolen remains, and
a copy of a Skull and Bones log book in which the 1918 grave robbery had
been recorded. The informant said that Skull and Bones members used the
pilfered remains in performing some of their Thursday and Sunday night
rituals, with Geronimo's skull sitting out on a table in front of them.

Outraged, Anderson traveled to New Haven. He did some investigation on the
Yale campus and held numerous discussions, to learn what the Apaches would
be up against when they took action, and what type of action would be most
fruitful.

Through an attorney, Ned Anderson asked the FBI to move into the case. The
attorney conveyed to him the Bureau's response: If he would turn over every
scrap of evidence to the FBI, and completely remove himself from the case,
they would get involved. He rejected this bargain, since it did not seem
likely to lead toward recovery of Geronimo's remains.

Due to his persistence, he was able to arrange a September 1986 Manhattan
meeting with Jonathan Bush, George Bush's brother. Jonathan Bush vaguely
assured Anderson that he would get what he had come after, and set a
followup meeting for the next day. But Bush stalled--Anderson believes this
was to gain time to hide and secure the stolen remains against any possible
rescue action.

The Skull and Bones attorney representing the Bush family and managing the
case was Endicott Peabody Davison. His father was the F. Trubee Davison
mentioned above, who had been president of New York's American Museum of
Natural History, and personnel director for the Central Intelligence Agency.
The general attitude of this Museum crowd has long been that ``Natives''
should be stuffed and mounted for display to the Fashionable Set.

Finally, after about 11 days, another meeting occurred. A display case was
produced, which did in fact match the one in the photograph the informant
had given to Ned Anderson. But the skull he was shown was that of a
ten-year-old child, and Anderson refused to receive it or to sign a legal
document promising to shut up about the matter.
Anderson took his complaint to Arizona Congressmen Morris Udahl and John
McCain III, but with no results. George Bush refused Congressman McCain's
request that he meet with Anderson.

Anderson wrote to Udahl, enclosing a photograph of the wall case and skull
at the ``Tomb,'' showing a black and white photograph of the living
Geronimo, which members of the Order had boastfully posted next to their
display of his skull. Anderson quoted from a Skull and Bones Society
internal history, entitled Continuation of the History of Our Order for the
Century Celebration, 17 June 1933, by The Little Devil of D'121.

>From the war days [W.W. I] also sprang the mad expedition from the School of
Fire at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, that brought to the T[omb] its most spectacular
``crook,'' the skull of Geronimo the terrible, the Indian Chief who had
taken forty-nine white scalps. An expedition in late May, 1918, by members
of four Clubs [i.e. four graduating-class years of the Society], Xit D.114,
Barebones, Caliban and Dingbat, D.115, S'Mike D.116, and Hellbender D.117,
planned with great caution since in the words of one of them: ``Six army
captains robbing a grave wouldn't look good in the papers.'' The stirring
climax was recorded by Hellbender in the Black Book of D.117: ``... The ring
of pick on stone and thud of earth on earth alone disturbs the peace of the
prairie. An axe pried open the iron door of the tomb, and Pat[riarch] Bush
entered and started to dig. We dug in turn, each on relief taking a turn on
the road as guards.... Finally Pat[riarch] Ellery James turned up a bridle,
soon a saddle horn and rotten leathers followed, then wood and then, at the
exact bottom of the small round hole, Pat[riarch] James dug deep and pried
out the trophy itself.... We quickly closed the grave, shut the door and
sped home to Pat[riarch] Mallon's room, where we cleaned the Bones.
Pat[riarch] Mallon sat on the floor liberally applying carbolic acid. The
Skull was fairly clean, having only some flesh inside and a little hair. I
showered and hit the hay ... a happy man....''@s9
The other grave robber whose name is given, Ellery James, we encountered in
Chapter 1--he was to be an usher at Prescott's wedding three years later.
And the fellow who applied acid to the stolen skull, burning off the flesh
and hair, was Neil Mallon. Years later, Prescott Bush and his partners chose
Mallon as chairman of Dresser Industries; Mallon hired Prescott's son,
George Bush, for George's first job; and George Bush named his son, Neil
Mallon Bush, after the flesh-picker.

In 1988, the Washington Post ran an article, originating from the
Establishment-line Arizona Republic, entitled ``Skull for Scandal: Did
Bush's Father Rob Geronimo's Grave?'' The article included a small quote
from the 1933 Skull and Bones History of Our Order: ``An axe pried open the
iron door of the tomb, and ... Bush entered and started to dig....'' and so
forth, but neglected to include other names beside Bush.

According to the Washington Post, the document which Bush attorney Endicott
Davison tried to get the Apache leader to sign, stipulated that Ned Anderson
agreed it would be ``inappropriate for you, me [Jonathan Bush] or anyone in
association with us to make or permit any publication in connection with
this transaction.'' Anderson called the document ``very insulting to
Indians.'' Davison claimed later that the Order's own history book is a
hoax, but during the negotiations with Anderson, Bush's attorney demanded
Anderson give up his copy of the book. at s1@s0
Bush crony Fitzhugh Green gives the view of the President's backers on this
affair, and conveys the arrogant racial attitude typical of Skull and Bones:

``Prescott Bush had a colorful side. In 1988 the press revealed the
complaint of an Apache leader about Bush. This was Ned Anderson of San
Carlos, Oklahoma [sic], who charged that as a young army officer Bush stole
the skull of Indian Chief [sic] Geronimo and had it hung on the wall of
Yale's Skull and Bones Club. After exposure of `true facts' by Anderson, and
consideration by some representatives in Congress, the issue faded from
public sight. Whether or not this alleged skullduggery actually occurred,
the mere idea casts the senior Bush in an adventurous light''@s1 at s1[emphasis
added].

James M. Craven
Blackfoot Name: Omahkohkiaayo-i'poyi
Professor/Consultant,Economics;Business Division Chair
Clark College, 1800 E. McLoughlin Blvd.
Vancouver, WA. USA 98663
Tel: (360) 992-2283; Fax: (360) 992-2863
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~blkfoot5
Employer has no association with private/protected opinion
"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present
controls the past." (George Orwell)
"...every anticipation of results which are first to be proved seems
disturbing to me...(Karl Marx, "Grundrisse")
FREE LEONARD PELTIER!!