Marxism and music

Jurriaan Bendien bendien at tomaatnet.nl
Sun Nov 9 16:10:23 MST 2003

Well we know what happened to Webern, and we have to move on from there, and
get even with those fascist American idiots who are still running around
thinking they are directing the course of world history and stuffing up
people's lives all over the planet. Do you think I like living here ? I
don't even want to talk about it. I think I'll just stop writing.

"When we took our first constructive steps, the question of these former
officers of the Tsarist army came up in an acute form. We needed them as
representatives of their craft, as men who were familiar with military
routine, and without whom we should have to start from scratch. Our foes
would, in that case, hardly permit us to pursue our self-training until it
had reached the required level. We could not build a centralized military
apparatus, and an army to correspond, without drawing into the work many
representatives of the old officer corps. They now entered the army not as
representatives of the old ruling classes but as henchmen of the new
revolutionary class. Many of them, to be sure, betrayed us, going over to
the enemy or taking part in revolts; but, in the main, their spirit of class
resistance was broken. Nevertheless, the hatred felt for them by the
rank-and-file masses was still intense, and constituted one of the sources
of the guerrilla attitude: within the framework of a small local unit there
was no need for qualified military workers. It was necessary, while smashing
the resistance of the counter-revolutionary elements among the old officers,
to secure for the loyal elements among them, step by step, the possibility
of working as part of the Red Army.

The oppositionist 'Left' tendencies (which were actually intellectual and
peasant tendencies) in the sphere of building the Army tried to find a
generalized theoretical formula to serve their purposes. The centralized
army was declared to be the army of an imperialist state. The revolution
must, in conformity with its whole nature, give up for good and all not only
positional warfare but also the centralized army. The revolution was
entirely based upon mobility, the bold stroke, and maneuvering. Its fighting
force was the small, independent unit, made up of all types of arms, not
linked with any base, relying on the sympathy of the population, moving
freely into the enemy's rear, and so on. In short, the tactics of the
revolution were proclaimed to be the tactics of guerrilla warfare. Serious
experience of civil war very soon refuted these prejudices. The advantages
of centralized organization and strategy over local improvisation, military
separatism and federalism were revealed so quickly and vividly that today
the basic principles of the building of the Red Army are beyond dispute."

http://www.marxists.org/archive/trotsky/works/1918-mil/ch02.htm