Scott Ritter on Iraqi resistance

e. ahmet tonak eatonak at simons-rock.edu
Mon Nov 10 12:15:23 MST 2003

  I read the following interview with Ritter as a statement of his clear
cut position about spying on Iraq, i.e. he simply didn't do it and never
supported the idea of "collect[ing]  intelligence on Iraq" when he was
employed by the Security Council.  Now, a year later, in his CSM piece
he openly admits that he spied on Iraq: "What I saw - and passed on to
US intelligence agencies.."

I never trusted this guy, though admittedly served "a purpose."  Here is
the Time interview for your comparative judgment:

Time Magazine; Saturday, Sep. 14, 2002

You told the Iraqi parliament that Saddam had legitimate complaints
about the prior inspection regime. What did you mean?

The U.S. had a track record of putting pressure on the weapons
inspectors program during my entire seven years there. It's ironic that
everyone has focused on the struggle of the inspectors vs. Iraq. Not too
many people speak of the struggle between the weapons inspectors and the
U.S. to beat back the forces of U.S. intelligence which were seeking to
infiltrate the weapons inspectors program and use the unique access the
inspectors enjoyed in Iraq for purposes other than disarmament. Iraq has
a clear case that under this past inspection regime unfortunately it was
misused for purposes other than set out by the Security Council resolution.

Did you get any spying done on your trip?

Haha. Did I spy on Iraq my most recent trip? I wasn't there to collect
intelligence on Iraq. To be frank, I didn't see barricades in the
streets or earthen berms being erected or fortifications underway. I did
see a lot of troops in the streets and I saw that Iraq had beefed up
their air defense in the capital. I saw that they were moving these air
defense units frequently to avoid a strike. But I wasn't there to carry
out a full canvas of Iraq's military capabilities.

Ahmet Tonak

--

E. Ahmet Tonak
Professor of Economics