Music, Fascism, and Trotsky: One Of These Things Is Not Like The Other

OpenSentence Type Foundry typefoundry at opensentence.org
Mon Nov 10 14:07:52 MST 2003

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 00:10:23 +0100
> From: "Jurriaan Bendien" <bendien at tomaatnet.nl>
> Subject: Marxism and music
>
> Well we know what happened to Webern, and we have to move on from there, and
> get even with those fascist American idiots who are still running around
> thinking they are directing the course of world history and stuffing up
> people's lives all over the planet. Do you think I like living here ? I
> don't even want to talk about it. I think I'll just stop writing.

Do Shut Up!  The United States is not a fascist country, in fact quite the
opposite; an article in New Left Review some years ago on Dogme questioned
the "authenticity" of Danish co-operatives as expressions of
self-determination due to their quite exclusionary character, but really the
deal in the US is that you are at the mercy of the capitalist system and
"civil society": there are hardly any effective mutual aid organizations,
the AFL-CIO is one of the few that fights like hell and they don't get very
much.  Does this have its upside?  Yeah, the corporatist-minded better find
other hobbies.  But there's also a cost to the American left that cheap
"kill that little fascist" talk (not always from leftists) obscures.  And on
that note, what happened to Webern was that he lived to be 62 (all through
WWII) and compose great music.  By the way, the Trotsky material deserves a
*thorough* critique but that's not what we're in a position to hammer out
right now.