merits of this discussion

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Nov 10 18:31:02 MST 2003

>Define the carrying "capacity of the earth."  The overproduction is capital.
>The scarcity is the reverse reflection of capital - overproduction appearing
>as scarcity.
>
>The issues we face is not a question of civilization but an issue of property
>- class relations.
>
>Melvin P.

Well, I guess the planet can carry 50 times as many people as there are
today. Of course, this will leave homo sapiens, mice, rats, crows,
seagulls, cockroaches and household pets to inherit the mess since bears,
wolves, predatory birds, frogs, fish and just about everything else will be
exinct. I myself believe that biological diversity is important for a whole
host of reasons, both spiritual and biological reasons. In fact, human
encroachment on the forests very like accounts for HIV, Ebola and a host of
other illnesses discussed by Laurie Garrett in "The Coming Plague". When
you factor in global warming, the living will envy the dead in this
dreadful future.