Powell's strike

OpenSentence Type Foundry typefoundry at opensentence.org
Mon Nov 10 22:56:46 MST 2003

> Wednesday, November 12th
> 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
> Powell's City of Books
> 1005 West Burnside
> Portland, OR
>
>      Whether or not you're not able to get to Portland to join them on
>      the picket line, please pass this information on to others -
>      particularly friends or Union members who live in the Portland
>      area.  If you are able to come to the picket line, please bring
>      signs showing support from your Union, Local or other organization.
>      Please remember that this is an unfair labor practices strike.  Any
>      mention of issues should be limited to "unfair labor practices" (or
>      simply stating support for Powell's workers or Local 5), and should
>      not make any reference to any contract issues.
>
>      For further information, please feel free to get in touch with me,
>      or to contact Local 5: local 5 at ilwulocal5.com; 503-228-5047; or
>      check their web page for updates, ilwulocal5.com.
>
>      Thanks in advance for your support.
>
> In solidarity,
>
> Paul Bigman

It's a little disturbing when you find out what's going on in your own area
on an international mailing list; but for what it's worth last week I was
trying to talk Steve Duin into going to the next of these *very
well-attended and lively* rallies, so we'll see if democracy has taken root,
or something.