Honouring the Dead

Gary MacLennan g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Tue Nov 11 14:31:46 MST 2003

This morning's news item about the new Australian War Memorial in London
set my FrQ (Frustration Quotient) soaring to new heights.  The spectacle of
the Queen and Howard and the military chiefs getting up to "honour" the
dead is truly revolting.  Prime Minister Howard though manages to bring it
off usually.  He has the advantage that his grandfather and father served
in WW1 and he has exploited that well in the past.

There was though an interesting (well moderately interesting) twist to the
rhetoric.  It seems now that the young men of two World Wars died for 'the
shared values (ie shared by Australia & UK) of democracy and individual
freedom".

(Chunder down under as my Aussie friends would say.)

However, all puking aside, if one walks up to the War Memorial in Brisbane
and cares to take a look at what is set in stone, one will see there the
proud boast that the young men of WW1 died for "King, God and Empire".

The current rhetoric omits all reference to the Glorious Triad.  It would
seem that we are all "democrats now" bringing "enduring freedom" to the
world.  But there is a continuity nevertheless underneath the apparent
rupture.  What we are hearing in the updated justifications for slaughter
and conquest, are really variations on the old "White Man's Burden" theme.

I have cut and pasted the original poem from the Net.  I urge everyone to
read it carefully.  Contemporary echoes will ring out.  In many ways it
could be thought of in contemporary terms as a Manifesto for the NGOs who
swarm ever so eagerly to do the "clean" work of Imperialism.

The white Man's Burden, Rudyard Kipling 1989

Take up the White Man's burden--
Send forth the best ye breed--
Go, bind your sons to exile
To serve your captives' need;