Doonesbury

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Wed Nov 12 09:54:19 MST 2003

The assertion that anyone described sixty years ago something today
perfectly or accurately is simply a reductionist translation of the
comic book world of religion...minus some of the subtleties of religion.

Most situations have analogies, but each is ultimately unique.  We can
use the analogies and our good sense to understand the world or we can
consult the well-worn pages of the text and start citing chapter and
verse.  Again, this provides a variant on the old bourgeois social
science notion of "laws" and models of behavior--which swallow the great
intellectual cyanide that "history-repeats-itself."

What a wonderfully simple world to understand that would be!

Solidarity!
Mark L.