Marxism list and google

ar168 at canada.com ar168 at canada.com
Thu Nov 13 20:15:20 MST 2003

This may be a reflection of the chilly times we're
living in here in North America but I've recently been
subjected to red baiting after someone "googled" me and
found posts I'd made to the Marxism list under my name
(I stopped using that account some time ago for
unrelated reasons). "Googling", that is putting the
name of a prospective employee or of someone you want
to find out more about into a search engine has become
more common as the technology develops. I'm wondering
if lists such as the Marxism list should consider
making their archives inaccessable to Google and other
search engines in order to make this sort of practice
more difficult and make participants in this list less
exposed to attack? Of course, I guess anyone really
concerned should be posting under a pseudonym but given
that these concerns have heightened since 9-11 and that
the ability of search engines such as "google" to
catalogue email lists is relatively recent perhaps we
should give this some consideration.

Thanks,

Andy