marxism-digest V1 #6604

OpenSentence Type Foundry typefoundry at opensentence.org
Fri Nov 14 18:29:32 MST 2003

> Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 22:51:52 +0100
> From: "Jurriaan Bendien" <bendien at tomaatnet.nl>
> Subject: South Beach Spirituality
>
> "So maybe existing organized religions are not the worst things possible.""
>
> I suspect that "organised religion" means submitting your lovelife to a
> Higher Power, but I have always been a little suspicious of that, given what
> human beings really do to each other in the real world. As I said before, I
> am a bit more sympathetic to organised religion than most Marxists are,
> because I think it contains some things that ought to be understood rather
> than mindlessly destroyed for the sake of "progress", but for the rest of
> it, I am firmly committed to a rational, scientifically-critical
> understanding of things, even if I know that doesn't necessarily make me
> happy (but then I reject scientism as well). But okay, let's not pollute the
> list with too many blogs...

Right, only regulating what human beings including yourself do to each other
in the real world requires some kind of "higher power" which does not
necessarily have to be religious (should not be religious); this trend (it's
not my idea, actually wasn't paying too much attention to it) will vitiate
that and Christian romances won't.  I don't do just exactly what I like to
do with respect to anything, and I don't yearn for the days when I did
because nobody ever does.  Otherwise we are agreed here.