Amnesty International leader: left must join war on terror

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 15 10:35:11 MST 2003

>In his new book, "Tainted Legacy: 9/11 and the Ruin of Human Rights,"
>Schulz argues that rising global terrorism requires the left "to rethink
>some of our most sacred assumptions.

One place we can start is this nonsense that there is a "rising" global
terrorism. I haven't found any comprehensive source, and of course the
definition of "terrorism" is a flexible one to say the least (cf. current
events in Iraq), but here are some things I found in a quick search:

From: http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Terrorism/Terrorism_Statistics.html
1996: 3,225 "incidents"
1997: 914
1998: 6,694
1999: 939

And then from
http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:stuirzD9VYsJ:www.emergency.com/2002/terroris00-01.pdf+terrorism+statistics&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
2000: 1106
2001: 864

Nothing newer, but hardly any evidence of any "rising tide" of terrorism.
The only thing "rising" is the fear level in the American psyche, driven
more by George Bush, John Ashcroft & Co. than by Osama bin Laden.

>From Beethoven to the Rolling Stones, your favorite music is always playing
on MSN Radio Plus. No ads, no talk. Trial month FREE!