Letters to Bush

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Nov 18 08:25:34 MST 2003

Dear George,

I must be missing something. When you were elected it felt like a bad
dream. Here was the new most powerful man on the planet and his main
qualification seemed to be distinguished service in his college
cheerleading squad. He cared nothing about the world outside America and
in his spare time he liked to send educationally subnormal kids to the
electric chair. Well, I said to myself, at least we elected the kind of
government who'll stand up to him. I keep pinching myself, George. I
keep on doing it.

I'd really like you to answer one question. How come Tony does
everything you say? You can detain British citizens without trial, break
every international agreement going, and still you get to make this full
state visit. George, you won't be able to see us protesting because
they'll keep us out of sight, but how did you persuade him to use our
taxes to help your re-election campaign? Do you have pictures of him in
bed with Prince Charles? Or a goat? It has to be something like that.
Please let me know.

Yours, confused
Hari Kunzru
Author

===

Dear President Bush,

I'm sure you'll be having a nice little tea party with your fellow war
criminal, Tony Blair. Please wash the cucumber sandwiches down with a
glass of blood, with my compliments.

Harold Pinter
Playwright

full: http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1087591,00.html