(fwd from Michael Yates) working class students --> US 1st to abolish slavery?

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Tue Nov 18 12:43:06 MST 2003

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 23:26:55 -0800 Chris Brady <cdbrady at sbcglobal.net>
writes:
> A glimpse symbolic of the opposing forces in the standards struggle
> [why
> "*Even* teachers"? Who else debates if not politicians?]:
>
> Even teachers debate course of social studies
>
> By Ana Beatriz Cholo, Tribune staff reporter

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chicago/chi-0311160086nov16,1,51
46247.story

> Chicago Tribune, November 16, 2003
>

> The conservatives say a citizen focuses on the positive aspects of
> American history and tends to minimize the negatives in light of the
> bigger picture.
>
> As Leming said: “Kids need a clear, attractive image of our country.
> lot of kids coming out of a unit on slavery will say, `Wow, that was
> really bad.’“ He said they should instead frame their thoughts on the
> incredible achievements of the Constitution and how the United States
> was the first nation to abolish slavery.

Someone should inform that rightwing moron that
the UK abolished slavery back in the 1830s at
least a generation prior to the US.  Also, that
the US Constitution as created by the Framers
specifically permitted slavery and indeed it
gave the South extra seats in Congress through
the  "three fifths" rule under which the population
of slaves was treated as being equivalent to
three fifths of a population of free men for
purposes of electoral apportionment.
And of course the achievements of the US
Constitution were so incredible that when
dealing with the issue of slavery, the whole
system of government as instituted on the
Federal level suffered a catastrophic
breakdown leading to a bloody civil
war.

Jim F.