Fichte's national-intellectualism

OpenSentence Type Foundry typefoundry at opensentence.org
Thu Nov 20 11:32:58 MST 2003

> Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:11:30 +0100
> From: "Johannes Schneider" <Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net>
> Subject: Re: What's So Funny About Peace, Love, And Council Meetings?
>
>>  Secondly, a front for the political doctrines of the KAPD (the
>> "Fichte-Bund")
>
> The Fichte-Bund was never a KAPD front, but connected with Wolffheim and
> Laufenberg, who were expelled from the KAPD.
> The KAPD explicitly rejected national-bolshevism.

Well, that's the stuff you gotta watch 'cause your gal might be theirs.
Fichte was responsible for a lot of the tropes the Nazis played with (though
the fascination with Indian culture comes from Schopenhauer), but Fichte was
on a real trip most all of his life and a lot of his 'nationalist' rhetoric
is really not all that objectionable: "Whoever is for the spiritual is one
of us, whoever is against the spiritual is foreign and 'un-German' even if
they live in Germany and speak German".  It's objectionable enough if you
construe it in the way tonier Germans (like Heidegger, who wasn't all that
wealthy) did during the Third Reich, but less objectionable than
full-strength Nazism and the source of this "national-bolshevist" idea,
which I think is terrible.  But the thing to remember about the US is that
it's not exactly a nation-state (q.v. Benedict Anderson); so we have
different problems, not that one.

Jeff Rubard