Slavery in Haiti

gdunkel at mindspring.com gdunkel at mindspring.com
Fri Nov 21 21:32:02 MST 2003

On 21 Nov 03, at 9:44, Louis Proyect wrote:
With Kim Ives and Pat Chin, I've been working on a book for the
International Action Center & the Haiti Support Network to answer racist
twadle, like the piece from the LA Times, which is consistent with over
two hundred years of racist propaganda against Haiti.

The book "Haiti: A Slave Revolution" is currently at the printer and it is
tentaively due back the second week of December.  I intend to post large
sections of it and will announce where it can be read online as soon as it
is available.

But since it is not currently online, I am going to include some of the
Preface:
======================

As the bicentennial of Haiti's independence approached, we
considered how to commemorate this singular event in the history of
the world, the successful revolution in Haiti against the French slave
owners. Just holding a meeting or a series of meetings didn't seem to
be enough. So we decided to write a book to mark Haiti’s 200 years
of struggle against racism and colonialism, to mark the only time slaves
managed to rise up, break their chains and set up a new state and
social order that reflected some of their aspirations and hopes.

The mainstream press and the politicians say they celebrate the
bicentennial of the world's first Black republic and its achievements.
But they explain its poverty and political instability by pointing to "poor
leadership," a lack of  "democratic traditions" and isolation due to
geography and language.

This book is going to combat 200 years of racist indoctrination and
propaganda about the Haitian Revolution. It is essential to challenge
these stereotypes in order to build true, informed solidarity with Haiti.

Chapters in this book point out how the United States and other
imperialist powers like France and Germany have persecuted,
exploited and from time to time, occupied Haiti and how the Haitian
people have resisted by any means possible.

At least half of Haiti's population in 1790 were killed before 1812 and
still the Haitian people won. They crushed France's genocidal attempt
to re-enslave them by crushing Napoleon's army. This hard-won
victory meant Haiti was a beacon of hope and inspiration to enslaved
African people of the United States, even after they obtained their
freedom. Frederick Douglass, the famous Black abolitionist who was
the U.S. consul in Port-au-Prince in the 1880s, expressed this clearly
in a speech, included in this book.

This book is not a traditional history of Haiti. It's a people's history.
We link historical events to current realities and show a continuity of
oppression and resistance.

This book exposes some little known and carefully hidden history. For
example, how the slave-owning George Washington got his slave-
owning secretary of state Thomas Jefferson to send $400,000 -- a
vast sum at the time -- to support the slave-owners of Haiti in their
vain attempt to put down the revolt. We connect this, the first
significant foreign aid the United States ever granted, to the millions
the U.S. gave Marc Bazin, a former World Bank Official, to run
against Aristide in his first campaign.

The Jefferson-Washington grant and the money granted to Bazin are
the historical precedents for the funds the International Republican
Institute gives to fund the so-called Democratic Convergence, which
opposes the current Aristide government.

We include the explanation given by Ben Dupuy, the leader of the
National Popular Party, of why the United States invaded Haiti in
1994. We have an analysis of the huge demonstrations that the Haitian
community in the United States held to protest the coup against
Aristide, police brutality and how they were stigmatized using the
AIDS hysteria. These were not just demonstrations, they were also
one-day strikes.

Fleurimond W. Kerns, a columnist for Haïti-Progrès, points out in his
chapter on the birth of the Haitian flag that the Congress of Arcahaie
in 1803 was the occasion when the more privileged sectors in the
Haitian revolution put themselves under the command of the most
oppressed. Former U.S. Attorney-General Ramsey Clark, who is the
founder of the IAC and investigated the 1991 coup as a member of
the Haiti Commission, has an overview of Haitian history.

We were very happy when Local USWA 8751, representing Boston
school bus drivers and monitors, a union which is 75% Haitian, asked
to contribute a chapter.  about how the struggle that the Haitian
working class in the diaspora has waged against racism and U.S.
colonialism has been part and parcel of the local's daily activity.

We hope the translations from two of Haiti’s most celebrated poets –
Paul Laraque and the late Félix Morisseau-Leroy – will give the
reader an impression of the Creole language’s beauty and imagery and
how Haitian poets raise political themes.

We could not cover every aspect of Haitian history we would have
liked: for example, Haiti's intervention in the Dominican Republic,
which ended slavery there; the cacos' struggle against the U.S.
occupation from 1916 to 1922; the mass uprisings against the U.S.
occupation in the late '20s and early '30s. We wanted to focus on the
impact Haiti has and has had on the United States.

We hope this book builds a better understanding of Haiti’s importance
in the history of this hemisphere, and indeed, the world.

====