[Marxism] Re: Aussie left nationalism

Tom O'Lincoln suarsos at alphalink.com.au
Sun Nov 23 20:28:12 MST 2003

Some replies to Gary:

>>I have always cited as an example here how the Communist League and the
SWP (DSP) staged their unification process in 75 around debates on the
Portuguese Revolution rather than on the specifics of Australian
politics.<<

This is very curious actually, because the two wings of the Fourth
International were hopelessly split on these questions in Portugal itself.
Which didn't stop somebody in Brisbane informing me that the FI would lead
the Portuguese revolution because it was a "disciplined international
tendency."

>>IMHO the ISO tradition tends to be strong on anathematising nationalism
and I feel that this tends to isolate them from the only really viable
radical tradition in this country.<<

It is a danger. But then the anathema mentality is not just a danger on
this front alone.

>>My reading in Australia at the moment is that we are far
from being in danger of going too far with a left nationalist surge. Tom I
suspect disagrees<<

I don't know that I do. I think the problem with the anti-war movement was
that it looked too much to the anti-American wing of the bourgoisie  - in
Australia, France, and the UN. Nationalism was just a symptom, and it was
not so radical at all. A wave of seriously radical left nationalism would
be an improvement. Right now we don't have a wave of anything much, and
that's unfortunate.

>>but if I may say so he is tending to formal correctness
here, and it may be that the role of one crying in the wilderness has grown
on him somewhat :).<<

Another undoubted danger. Perhaps I'll do something about that in the new
year. :) But the greater danger recently has been spending too much time
watching rugby matches, where there is nothing left about the nationalism
at all. Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oink Oink Oink. Thank God the Poms won.