[Marxism] The Bush plan for Cuba

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Nov 24 07:11:41 MST 2003

WORLD AFFAIRS

The Bush plan for Cuba

SHARMINI PERIES
in Toronto

President Bush's recently unveiled plan to bring down the Fidel Castro
government in Cuba bears close resemblance to the one for Iraq and is
designed with the 2004 Presidential election in focus.

Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power
to make you commit injustices.

- Voltaire, 1767.

FOREGROUNDING the 2004 United States election campaign, President George
W. Bush announced on October 10 before a gathering of anti-Castro
Cuban-American constituents at a ceremony in the White House's Rose
Garden that the U.S. administration was planning to bring down President
Fidel Castro's Cuban government. In the statement, Bush officially
directed his Secretary of State Colin Powell and Cuban-born Housing
Secretary Mel Martinez to chair a panel that would "plan for the happy
days when Castro's regime is no more... The transition to democracy and
freedom will present many challenges to the Cuban people and to America,
and we will be prepared."

Bush's announcement, which came on the 135th anniversary of the
beginning of the Cuban war of independence from Spain, was timed to
raise the temperatures among anti-Castro Americans and urge them to join
the Bush-Powell plan against Cuba. Speaking from Washington on behalf of
the world's conscience, the U.S. President justified plans for
corrective measures in Cuba as necessary, stating that Castro had acted
in "defiance and contempt with a new round of brutal oppression that
outraged world conscience".

In addition to this, Bush aired a 40-second-long radio message in
Spanish targeted at the domestic population of Cuba. "On behalf of the
people of the United States, I send greetings to the Cuban community. My
hope is for the Cuban people to soon enjoy the same freedoms and rights
as we do... . Dictatorships have no place in the Americas. May God bless
the Cuban people who are struggling for freedom," he said. The taped
radio message was aired on May 20 by Radio Marti, a U.S. government
station, and beamed into Cuba via Guantanamo Bay satellites on the 101st
anniversary of Cuban independence.

full: http://www.flonnet.com/fl2024/stories/20031205001005200.htm

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org