[Marxism] Korea Romance: South Meets North

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Nov 24 07:43:44 MST 2003

*****   The International Herald Tribune
October 14, 2003 Tuesday
SECTION: NEWS; Pg. 1
LENGTH: 821 words
HEADLINE: Korea romance: South meets North
BYLINE: James Brooke
SOURCE: The New York Times
DATELINE: SEOUL:

BODY: The daughter of North Korea's leader, Kim Jong Il, is pouting
in the suite of a luxury hotel in Seoul. She has just learned that
Daddy has arranged a marriage for her in Pyongyang to a boring old
nuclear scientist.

Not for Dear Leader's teenage princess! Donning a tight white blouse
and a hot-red miniskirt, she eludes her amiable North Korean police
chaperon and runs away to a disco, where she shouts in English,
"Let's party!"

All goes swimmingly in the movie "Whistling Princess" until the
Americans, dressed in black, arrive at a rock concert. As the
princess kisses a hunky Seoul rocker, with a unification ballad
reaching a crescendo, the Americans blow up the place with hand
grenades and rocket launchers. "I thought I took a creative stance,
changing the Americans from good guys to bad guys," said Peter Lee,
the filmmaker, in the office of his film company here. "Actually, I
like the U.S. I visit the U.S. two times a year."

Such is the world of South Korean cinema, which has seemingly
embraced the government's "sunshine policy," started in 2000 to
extend an open hand to North Korea. No longer are North Koreans
portrayed as devils; that role now belongs to the Americans.

These new films are popular among young adults, feeding their
anti-American politics. Last December, when "Whistling Princess" was
released, Gallup Korea, a polling firm, found that 75 percent of
South Koreans in their 20's had a negative view of the United States,
compared with only 26 percent of Koreans over 50, the generation that
lived through the Korean War.

"From those movies, we can sense that North Korea is no longer a
competitor or enemy," said Park Sae Na, 23, a textbook researcher.
"When we were young, we got a lot of anti-Communist education.
However, we are turning toward reconciliation mood."

In fact, for the last three years, South Koreans have seen a number
of sympathetic films about the North: "Shiri," a romance between a
North Korean agent and a South Korean security agent; "Double Agent,"
a love story about two North Korean moles in South Korea; "Spy,"
about a hapless North Korean agent who falls in love with a South
Korean art student, and "South Korean Man and North Korean Woman," a
comedy about a playboy who tries to seduce the daughter of a
high-ranking North Korean officer.

In the most acclaimed film, "Joint Security Area," soldiers from
North and South fraternize across the demilitarized zone, playing
cards and drinking. Six million South Koreans or 20 percent of the
country's adults saw the movie in theaters. And it was shown
nationally on television on July 27, the 50th anniversary of the
armistice that ended the Korean War.

"I wanted to say North Koreans are the same human beings as South
Koreans, we should see North Koreans as brothers," said Park Chan
Wook, the 43-year-old director of the movie, which has won virtually
every South Korean film award. "I didn't have any intention to make a
movie which repeated those anti-Communist themes of my school years."

While older South Koreans have denounced the movie as naive and
unrealistic, the film has had an enormous impact on current
attitudes. Last spring, during joint military maneuvers near the
border, several American soldiers complained that their
English-speaking South Korean liaison soldiers said they would not
fire on their Northern "brothers."

Park's next film is an account of No Gun Ri, a massacre in which
American soldiers killed about 250 Korean refugees in July 1950, a
few weeks after the Korean War broke out. According to a 2001
Pentagon report, the Americans, largely inexperienced soldiers
transferred from occupation duty in Japan, fired on the civilians
believing that North Koreans soldiers had infiltrated the group.

Meanwhile, Shin Sang Ok, a renowned director of the Korean War
generation, said he has had no luck finding financing for his
project, a dramatization of fighting in North Korea near Heungnam
Port that allowed for the evacuation of 100,000 refugees and 105,000
troops to safety in the South. About 5,000 American and South Korean
troops were killed.

Unlike the younger filmmakers, Shin knows North Korea. He and his
wife, Choi Un Hui, say they were kidnapped in Hong Kong in the late
1970's on the orders of Kim Jong Il. They had to make movies for Kim
Il Sung, who ruled the North then, and his son, Kim Jong Il.

"In each movie, there has to be a minimum of three appearances of
praise of Kim Il Sung," said Shin, who made about a dozen movies in
the North in the 1980s. '

Shin was jailed three times for trying to flee before he and he wife
finally escaped in 1986. "I want to make the 'Schindler's List' of
North Korea," Shin said. "People there are suffering like the Jews in
Auschwitz. The entire country is a gulag. I want to make a hit with
such a movie feature. Then the world will know that North Korea is a
land without human rights."   *****

_Joint Security Area_:
<http://www.blockbuster.com/bb/movie/details/0,7286,VID-V+++227029,00.html>;
<http://hanbooks.com/joinsecarjsa.html>;