[Marxism] Bob Pollin appearance on Bill Moyers

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Nov 24 07:48:33 MST 2003

Last night PBS's "Now with Bill Moyers" aired an interesting show on how
the American working class is being screwed. You can read a transcript
at: http://www.pbs.org/now/

Bob Pollin, who has been talked up in Alex Cockburn's Counterpunch
newsletter and Nation Magazine articles (which usually duplicate
themselves), provided a running commentary.

Although he has a reputation for opposing globalization, Pollin had this
to say:

 >>MOYERS: We've been hearing many voices today being raised in favor of
rolling back the clock on free trade and revoking NAFTA and trade
privileges for China. Economist Robert Pollin disagrees.

POLLIN: Because NAFTA has accelerated a process that's gonna happen
anyway. What we have to do is think of ways to expand those types of
jobs that are not exportable and turn them into decent jobs. There's no
reason, for example, why working at Wal-Mart or the Wal-Mart equivalent
has to be a lousy job. Historically, it's a lousy job while working in a
steel mill's a good job because steel mills were organized and that took
a long time. And so you had labor laws that promoted that. And if you
had labor laws that promoted organizing at Wal-Mart, Wal-Mart could be a
decent... why shouldn't it be a decent job? Why shouldn't it be a decent
job to be a waitress? Why shouldn't it be a decent job to clean my
university office? Those are the kinds of jobs that aren't going
anywhere.<<

Although I have a lot of respect for Pollin's integrity, this seems to
be an ahistorical approach to the problem of declining wages. Steel mill
jobs became a good job because of WWII wartime production and US
hegemony in the aftermath of that war.

Those jobs began to disappear after competition from Germany, Japan et
al put downward pressure on profits. US Steel, for example, found it
more profitable to lend money than make steel. Other steel companies
closed their doors.

The reason Wal-Mart jobs don't pay well is that the company itself is
involved in selling low-profit items. Everything is based on volume. The
minute this stops being profitable, the capitalist owners of Wal-Mart
will shift into some other sphere of the economy. Unskilled jobs,
however, will never pay what they used to pay--unless, that is, the USA
launches an old-time imperialist war.

Most of the left-Keynsian discourse in the academy seems rather innocent
of the rather frightening prospects over the next 25 years or so. It
appears nostalgic for the "good old days", which were not that good. If
capitalism needs war to prosper, then an alternative is needed. That
alternative will require revolutionary struggle, something that is even
more frightening to routine-minded people than the consequences of a
system in terminal decay.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org