[Marxism] Spam rage

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Nov 24 08:42:30 MST 2003

Man arrested in ‘spam rage’ case

Penis enlargement ads drive man to threaten torture

By Adam Tanner

SAN FRANCISCO, Nov. 21 — Call it spam rage: A Silicon Valley computer
programmer has been arrested for threatening to torture and kill
employees of the company he blames for bombarding his computer with Web
ads promising to enlarge his penis.

Booher threatened to send a “package full of Anthrax spores” to the
company, to “disable” an employee with a bullet and torture him with a
power drill and ice pick; and to hunt down and castrate the employees
unless they removed him from their e-mail list, prosecutors said.

IN ONE OF THE FIRST prosecutions of its kind in the state that made
“road rage” famous, Charles Booher, 44, was arrested on Thursday and
released on $75,000 bond for making repeated threats to staff of an
unnamed Canadian company between May and July, the U.S. Attorney’s
office for Northern California said on Friday.

Booher threatened to send a “package full of Anthrax spores” to the
company, to “disable” an employee with a bullet and torture him with a
power drill and ice pick; and to hunt down and castrate the employees
unless they removed him from their e-mail list, prosecutors said. He
used return e-mail addresses including Satan at hell.org.

In a telephone interview with Reuters, Booher acknowledged that he had
behaved badly but said his computer had been rendered almost unusable
for about two months by a barrage of pop-up advertising and e-mail.

“Here’s what happened: I go to their Web site and start complaining to
them, would you please, please, please stop bothering me,” he said. “It
just sort of escalated ... and I sort of lost my cool at that point.”

full: http://www.msnbc.com/news/996697.asp?0cl=cR

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org