[Marxism] Democrats worry about Greens' S.F. momentum

Gilles d'Aymery aymery at ix.netcom.com
Mon Nov 24 14:32:50 MST 2003

Democrats worry about Greens' S.F. momentum
Reeling party hopes progressives won't desert for Gonzalez

John Wildermuth, Chronicle Political Writer   Sunday, November 23, 2003

The officially non-partisan race for mayor of San Francisco has become a high-stakes battleground for the Greens and the Democrats, with both sides bringing in help from across the nation.

"Matt Gonzalez has a chance to become a Green and progressive mayor of one of the nation's biggest cities,'' said Marnie Glickman, national co-chair of Green Party. "Greens across the country can contribute to the campaig
n, raise money for the campaign or they can volunteer, and we're doing all three.''

Democratic leaders are uniting behind Gavin Newsom and promising to bring in whatever help he needs to win the Dec. 9 runoff election.

Former Vice President Al Gore will be in San Francisco to campaign for Newsom next month; Sen. Dianne Feinstein, Rep. Nancy Pelosi, Secretary of State Kevin Shelley and most other local Democratic officeholders have endor
sed him.

"The mayor of San Francisco has tremendous influence,'' said Art Torres, head of the state Democratic Party. "We believe the Democratic Party stands for certain principles and we want to uphold those principles (in San Fr
ancisco).''

The partisan war of words is getting louder and harsher every day.

[...]

[Full:   http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-
bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/11/23/GREENS.TMP  ]