[Marxism] RE: Slandering Michael Parenti

Gilles d'Aymery aymery at ix.netcom.com
Tue Nov 25 11:05:35 MST 2003

To impugn Parenti's character or political convictions/credentials on
the basis of a couple of footnotes is rather befuddling. It brings to
mind a recent article by Marko Hoare, "The Left Revisionists," that
trashes Michael Parenti, Ed Herman, Diana Johnstone and other
authors with exemplary use of casuistry. Is this the company some
wish to keep? You can read this article at:

http://www.glypx.com/BalkanWitness/hoare.htm

Full disclosure: I am privileged to have a cordial relationship with
Michael, as well as Ed and Diana. The three of them contribute to
Swans from time to time. I've also reviewed "To Kill a Nation",
http://www.swans.com/library/art7/ga104.html
and Diana's "Fool's Crusade,"
http://www.swans.com/library/art9/ga156.html

They are in my opinion two of the best books, out of some 20+
books I've read, on the Yugoslav issue.

The hatchet job done on Parenti also reminds me of the mud thrown
at Ramsey Clark.  Not my province indeed.

Gilles d'Aymery
http://www.swans.com/

[Louis Proyect wrote]

I am assuming that Greg Yardley wannabe Michael Pugliese wrote
this in private note to Chris Brady, which he forwarded to the list
unfortunately:

>>His book, "To Kill A Nation, " on the ex-Yugoslavia has tons of
footnotes to wretched far right writers like the publicist for Radovan
Karazdic, Srjda Trifkovic who writes for Chronicles
http://www.chroniclesmagazine.org/ and Thatcherite think tanks like
the Lord Byron Society. RUBBISH!<<

As it turns out, I have a copy of Parenti's "To Kill a Nation" on my
desk right now and there are not "tons" of citations from right wing
writers. Among the over 400 footnotes, there are only two that refer
to Srjda Trifkovic--both in chapter ten which deals with Kosovo.

[...]