[Marxism] Michael Jackson

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Nov 26 13:06:40 MST 2003

LA Weekly, NOV. 28 - DEC. 4

The Perp of Pop
One more time, with feeling
by David Ehrenstein

“History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce,” a puckish
German wit once quipped. But were Karl Marx alive today, he would
doubtless find both tragedy and comedy in the pedophile scandals of that
most egregious piece of late-20th-century detritus, Michael Jackson. War
in Iraq, turmoil in Turkey, continued unrest in Israel, mass
demonstrations against George W. Bush in London — and in the U.S. every
news camera was focused on a celebrity freak. Was it only 10 years ago
that the singer-songwriter-skin-lightener-enthusiast was being
investigated by the Santa Barbara District Attorney’s Office for
molesting a preteen boy? Now here we are once more with the same D.A.
charging an older but obviously none-the-wiser Michael Jackson for
allegedly molesting another preteen boy. And now here I am as well,
contemplating the self-proclaimed “King of Pop,” his mass-media crown
ever askew. So, is it déjà vu all over again? Not quite.

(clip)

“Michael Jackson,” Jean Baudrillard writes in The Transparency of Evil,
“is a solitary mutant, a precursor of a hybridization that is perfect
because it is universal — the race to end all races . . . Michael
Jackson has had his face lifted, his hair straightened, his skin
lightened — in short, he has been reconstructed with the greatest
attention to detail. This is what makes him such an innocent and pure
child — the artificial hermaphrodite of the fable, better even than
Christ to reign over the world and reconcile its contradictions; better
that a child-god because he is a child-prosthesis, and embryo of all
those dreamt-of mutations that will deliver us from race and from sex.”

But what Michael Jackson’s life has actually shown is that there’s no
deliverance from either. And while the spectacle he provides may be
welcomed by the administration as a “Weapon of Mass Distraction” from
its multifarious misdeeds, it shouldn’t be overlooked that, unlike
Saddam Hussein, Osama bin Laden or George W. Bush, Michael Jackson is
now under arrest.

full: http://www.laweekly.com/ink/04/01/news-ehrenreich.php

===

Is Michael Jackson guilty of more than dysfunction?
Those Lips, Those Lies
by Michael Musto
Village Voice, November 26 - December 2, 2003

Rude comments about the state of Michael Jackson's face don't exactly
raise the level of discourse, but come on, when that mug shot hit the
news, you had to stop and shriek a little. Had Jacko spent the entire
flight to Santa Barbara playing around with his M.A.C products? (Or
maybe the eyeliner and lip color are permanently tattooed—yeah, in fact,
I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere.) Did he—desperate to avoid a Nick
Nolte—end up uncannily echoing the pleading eyes and near grimacing
mouth of that other alleged child abuser, Joan Crawford? And how 'bout
that nose, huh?

But wait a Neverland minute! We need to separate the blusher from the
bullshit. I'm terrified that we may be turning into a tabloid version of
Brandon Teena's lynchers, making merciless fun of any celebrity's gender
nonconformity or fashion extremism. I of all people shouldn't be casting
stones, having spent my entire adult life celebrating drag queens,
freaks, and kooks (though most of them are openly gay and the worst
thing any of them has ever done to a kid is scream, "Sit down!" at a
birthday party). Are we all just afraid to accept a female-bloused Cat
in the Hat who simply provides a playland of wonderment and life lessons
to needy little ones? Maybe we need to decide if Jackson's giving drag
queens a bad name or people are giving him a bad name because he's a
drag queen.

But—end of compassionate sidebar—back to the lip jokes, all right? It's
way more fun to ick-ify Jacko, and besides, it's not too hard to argue
that his cosmetics (and cosmetic surgery) are less self-expression than
cover-up. Our collective "eew" can be justified—after all, this guy
hasn't been straight with us! Any remaining fans I knew lost faith when
Jacko bought off his last accuser in '94 because he didn't want to
bother with a trial. ("Extortion!" he cried, then promptly paid up.)
Since then, even when coming off completely out of it, Jacko's often
reeked of sheer calculation, from getting various women to farm out
babies for him to dangle, to bizarrely thanking Britney Spears for the
Artist of the Millennium award on the VMAs when all she'd offered was a
piece of birthday cake. Jacko marches so loudly to his own
arrested-development drum that no one was surprised when he turned up as
an ick-tegral part of Liza and David's wedding party last year. (These
people all shill for each other's dysfunctions. They're—this feels so
good—freeeaks!) Worst of all, he loves children—but mainly if they're
drop-dead gorgeous, and in some cases even ready to drop dead.

Yes, Jackson's aggressively weird, and inspiringly enough, this has
united a nation in political disarray! His excesses bond us against a
collective enemy—he's much more popular to attack than Iraq—while
fueling our desperate desire for the charges to be true. No, we're not
rooting for anyone to have been molested, but we want Jackson to be the
repository of all our fears so we can agree on something, send him away,
and bring on the sunshine. We couldn't get Rosie or Martha to melt—and
we can't even find bin Laden or Hussein—but if Jacko would just agree to
be a pedophile, we could have our kook and eat him too.

full: http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0348/musto2.php

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org