[Marxism] Tuesday Dec 2: Rally to Defend our Civil Liberites

Mike Friedman mikedf at amnh.org
Wed Nov 26 14:17:16 MST 2003

ACTION ALERT * UNITED FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE NY
http://www.unitedforpeace.org | 212-868-5545

RALLY TO DEFEND THE BILL OF RIGHTS
Tuesday, December 2
12:30pm
City Hall Park

On Tuesday, December 2nd, United for Peace and Justice will join the NY
Bill of Rights Defense Campaign, MoveOn.org and a coalition of
organizations for a rally in defense of the Bill of Rights and in support of
anti-Patriot Act Resolution 909. The NYC Council session ends in
mid-December, and for
Resolution 909 to pass it must come up for a vote in the next few weeks.
Now is the time to make our voices heard. If you disagree with the USA
PATRIOT Act and its trampling of our constitutional rights, the secret
detentions of US citizens, and the round-ups of thousands of innocent Arabs,
Muslims and South Asians, join us on December 2nd.
There is no national security exception to our Constitution\'s guarantees of
fundamental rights and liberties.
For the most up-to-date information on the rally, log onto
http://www.nycbordc.org.

CONTENTS
1. Public rally to support Res. 909, Tuesday, Dec 2, 12:30 p.m., City Hall Park
2. NYC Congressional Representatives send letter to Miller
3. Please continue to write / call / fax Speaker Miller
4. FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) on-line

1. Public rally to support Res. 909
Brown bag it, and join us for lunch next Tuesday to defend your civil
rights and liberties. UFPJ, NYCBORDC and MoveOn.org are cosponsoring a
public rally on Tuesday, December 2 at 12:30 p.m. in City Hall Park. We
will raise our voices (and our signs, and our puppets) to demand passage of
Resolution 909 to affirm and uphold the civil rights and liberties of New
Yorkers.

Tuesday, December 2, 2003
12:30 - 1:30 p.m.
City Hall Park (between Broadway and Centre St)

Nearby subway stations :
N/R to City Hall
6 or J to Chambers St
2/3 to Park Place

We\'re on the verge of getting Res 909 passed, and it\'s crucial that we
let City Council Speaker Gifford Miller know that New Yorkers want their
local government to protect their rights. This will be the last public
event for 909 before the Council session ends in a few weeks!

2. Congressional letter to Miller
Congressman Major Owens coordinated a majority of NYC\'s Congressional
Delegation to send a letter to Speaker Miller urging him to support Res.
909. This strong statement from our Congressional leaders is resonating
throughout the City Council, and being applauded by the national BORDC
movement. See the letter and press release at:
http://www.nycbordc.org/congressional_letter.html

If your Representative signed the letter, please take a minute to call and
thank them for supporting Resolution 909 and the NYCBORDC:
Charles B. Rangel - 15th District - 212.663.3900
Major Owens - 11th - 718.773.3100
José E. Serrano - 16th - 718.538.5400
Edolphus Towns - 10th - 718.272.1175
Jerrold Nadler - 8th - 212.367.7350 or 718.373.3198
Nydia Velázquez - 12th - 718.599.3658 or 212.673.3997
Carolyn B. Maloney - 14th - 212.860.0606 or 718.932.1804

To look up you Representative, use the NYPIRG website :
http://www.cmap.nypirg.org/netmaps/MyGovernment/NYC/MyGovernmentNYC.asp

3. Please continue to write / call / fax Speaker Miller
NYCBORDC members and coalition groups have sent more than 4,500 letters,
faxes, and postcards to Speaker Gifford Miller in support of Res. 909. And
that doesn\'t even count phone calls. Thank you ! We\'re down to the wire
on this bill, so please keep up the pressure just a little bit longer to
ensure passage. Even if you have already called or written, it will help if
you do it again.

a) Call or write the Speaker\'s office : 212.788.7210
Sample letters :
http://www.nycbordc.org/action.html

b) Send a free fax via the ACLU :
http://www.nycbordc.org/lobby

c) If you can spare the time, it\'s also helpful to contact your City
Council representative and let them know that they have your support on
this issue.
- Chart of Council Member status :
http://www.nycbordc.org/ccm_909_chart.shtml (Click names for contact info.)
- Thank-you letter for Members supporting 909 :
http://www.nycbordc.org/docs/Res909_City_Council_thank-you_letter.doc
- Letter asking for support from those not yet on board :
http://www.nycbordc.org/docs/Res909_sample_City_Council_letter.doc

4. FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) on-line