[Marxism] Heads up from Derrick O'Keefe

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Nov 27 13:59:01 MST 2003

Although Derrick is neither a US citizen (from Canada, I believe), a
subscriber to Marxmail (but was in the past), he seems to be keeping up
with the "evolution" of the American SWP and our discussions about that here.

He alerted me to a reply to a reader in the latest issue of the Militant
about the character of the Iraqi resistance. Taking aim at the Workers
World Party, which regards the resistance as anti-colonial and acts on that
basis, the Militant says point blank that there is no genuine resistance:

"The logic of these statements [of the WWP] is a stance of political
support for the Baathist regime of Saddam Hussein and favoring its return
to power. The recent attacks on U.S., Italian, and other troops in Iraq
have been largely carried out by remnants of the brutal party-police state
the Baathist Party led, not a popular guerrilla force like the National
Liberation Front of Vietnam that earned that popularity through its
decades-long fight against French, Japanese, and U.S. imperialism. The
attacks have been concentrated in the Sunni-dominated region of central
Iraq, which had been the Baathist Party apparatus's main stronghold. That's
why the claims by the U.S. forces of support or at least acceptance of
their occupation by many, if not most, Iraqis are not simply a hoax."

full: http://themilitant.com/2003/6743/674336.html

Mind-boggling.