[Marxism] another response to Irshad Manji's book "The Trouble with Islam"

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Sat Nov 29 05:52:13 MST 2003

Respuesta a: [Marxism] another response to Irsha
Remitido por: usman x
Fecha: Viernes 28 de Noviembre de 2003
Hora: 12:27
*****

Ms. Manji's book, as per Tarek Fatah's notes, is an obvious attempt
at pedagogic colonization of the different Muslim peoples of this
world.

But Mr. Fatah's notes don't tackle the issue in its entirety. It is
OK to dismiss this attempt at bracketing the Muslim community with
Nazi Germany, and it is always salutary to remember that in the
battle of Stalingrad men and women of the most diverse nationalities
and faiths put the brake to the Wehrmacht in what shall pass to
history as one of the first clear demonstrations of the intrinsical
unity and worthiness of the human species.

But this line of argument is somehow facile and self-defeating
against anti-Muslim parlance, because the Great Mufti was _not at
all_ an isolated expression in Palestine during the 30s. Thus, it
becomes equally important (and not equally simple) to explain why the
Mufti's attitudes were not unwelcome among the Muslims, particularly
among Palestinian Muslims, many of whom gave their lives for the
"democracies" in Northern Africa, etc..

It is the same problem of those who "forget" that M. Ghandi actually
_paid a visit_ to Mussolini, not only allowed Indian victims of
British colonialism to struggle hand in hand with British soldiers
against the Nazi war machine.

What is missing is the main issue in our current world: the fact
that, maybe, if you come to think about it, politics in the colonial
and semicolonial world is something different from the Great Game of
the superpowers. And that the political necessities of these peoples
and their ruling classes aren't less important in an explanation of
what takes place than the political necessities of the peoples and
ruling classes at the "core".

That is, in the end, the endless problem of "world views" that cannot
root in the concreteness of the particular struggle at stake.

And thus become a part of the problem, not a solution.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar

Buenos Aires, 1822