[Marxism] Winners and losers

Julio Huato juliohuato at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 30 13:45:38 MST 2003

In his column, Paul Krugman deals with the alternatives facing the Third
World.

Louis Proyect attacks him (and others) on the grounds that " they cannot
accept [...] the proposition of an alternative to capitalism."  I wish Louis
gave a clearer idea of what he means by this.

The fact is that no political proposal will fly in the Third World if it is
not based on their fundamental problems -- the way they themselves perceive
them.

People cannot tackle problems they don't see.  And they can only see
problems whose solutions appear viable to them.  The tasks they see are the
ones that will be attempted.

For more on this, please see my recent posting at:

http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/marxism/2003w45/msg00335.htm

Julio