[Marxism] Re: Behind the headlines on Michael Jackson

Tom O'Lincoln suarsos at alphalink.com.au
Sun Nov 30 17:48:29 MST 2003

>>Tom, as I made abundantly clear in previous postings, my belief in his
guilt stems from his previous out-of-court settlement on similar charges.
Is there something I'm missing about that?<<

Yes there is.

Since when is settling out of court proof of guilt? He could have settled
last time simply to avoid trial by media. Men accused of molesting children
are always presumed guilty, and hounded -- which is exactly what's
happening here. Even if he's acquitted people will just say: "the bastard
got off".

The presumption of innocence is actually quite important to the left. We
should be a bit more cautious about undermining it.