[Marxism] Re: Behind the headlines on Michael Jackson

Adam Levenstein cleon42 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 30 18:31:33 MST 2003

*sigh* I'm going to get a reputation in Soli as "the guy who's always
defending Workers World." If I don't already. :P

Zak, you're dead wrong on this, and Leslie Feinberg (and WW) is
absolutely spot on. The fact is Jackson has been harrassed and made fun
of for a long, long time, and denying that race plays into it is
ridiculous.

Quite a bit of the denigration of Jackson has to do with his skin
complexion and questions of whether he's "trying to be white." I recall
an "In Living Color" skit some years back that was a parody of
Jackson's touchy-feely "Black or White" video entitled "Am I Black or
White?" It ended with the Jackson impersonator being hauled off to jail
for smashing a car, saying "Guess I'm Black after all."

Further, Leslie's hit upon a point that most of the left doesn't
touch--the fact that much of his harrassment is based on perceived
notions of gender; the fact that Jackson wears a lot of makeup, that he
somehow looks "feminine," to say nothing of his age-old crotch-grabbing
dance move.

None of this has the slightest thing to do with whether Jackson's
guilty or not. What it has to do with is the "convict, then try" method
of criminal "justice" that seems to apply to blacks and transgendered
people.

Maybe he's guilty, maybe he's not. I don't know. Neither do you, Zak.
Pay-off or not, rich or not. The fact is there are racist, sexist, and
homophobic forces at work here that need to be opposed.

Adam

=====
Adam Levenstein                          cleon42 at yahoo.com
ICQ: 17125158

Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.