[Marxism] Rochester Resistance

jmb2005 at columbia.edu jmb2005 at columbia.edu
Sun Nov 30 21:22:45 MST 2003

A guy I know does this journal, G.I. Special. It's real good, and
NION has the current and back issues posted on their website.
Here's one story...

peace-Jonah

http://www.notinourname.net/gi-special/

Rochester Resistance:
Army Reservist Accused Of Insubordination Only One Of Eighteen
Refusing Iraq Deployment

By BEN DOBBIN, Associated Press Writer, Nov 28

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) -- Capt. Steve McAlpin, a 25-year Army
reservist, spent most of last year deployed in Afghanistan and just
returned home in January.  Now his unit is about to ship out again,
and he's facing insubordination charges for criticizing the quick
turnaround.

McAlpin questioned the legality of a waiver that his battalion was
asked to sign that would put his unit back in a combat zone after
just 11 months at home. Under federal law, he pointed out, troops
are allowed a 12-month "stabilization period."

About a dozen other officers refused to sign the waiver, as well as
four enlisted soldiers called to redeploy, McAlpin said.

On Wednesday, members of his 401st Civil Affairs Battalion are
being deployed for duty overseas, but McAlpin likely won't be among
them. A memorandum this week notified him that he was being removed
from the 401st's battle roster, and he said he could also face
other punishment, including a court martial and losing rank.

The memorandum sent Wednesday commands McAlpin to clear up his
affairs at the unit by Monday, when it bans him from battalion
grounds. It also transfers him to the Individual Ready Reserves,
whose soldiers can be called up in the event of a national
emergency.

Instead of signing the reprimand document, McAlpin attached a note
of protest, stating his performance evaluations have been excellent
and that his record shows "no pattern of incompetence." He also
plans to meet with a military attorney.

"We signed up to fight our nation's enemies and we are fully
prepared to do that. But if they're going to usurp the laws of this
country at the expense of our most precious asset, our soldiers,
then I will not stand for that, not for a minute."

McAlpin served in Bosnia in 1996. Last year, while stationed at
Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan, he was a liaison to local warlords,
coordinated humanitarian relief supplies and organized an English-
language teaching program.

"I'm looking at something I love more than just about anything - my
service to the Army and my fellow soldiers - and they're trying to
stab me in the back," McAlpin said.

In Iraq and Afghanistan, he said, "we need every soldier we can
muster," but he said the military should also "honor soldiers that
have gone already" by giving them "a break from the hazards of
combat."