A new kind of dual power?

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net
Mon Sep 1 08:07:33 MDT 2003

Louis Proyect wrote:

> Johannes wrote:
> >Is this the Islamic version of a dual power situation?
> >
> > From the (just opened) English Al-Jazeera website:
> >
> >Militia takes law into own hands
>
> No, it sounds more like the beginning of a civil war, despite yesterday's
> audio tape of Saddam Hussein disavowing any responsibility for the Najaf
> bombing.

Maybe, but what will it mean for the occupation forces? Will they be caught
in the cross-fire or will they join one party?

On the side of the Iranian backed Badr Brigades? After all the talk about
regime change in Iran?

On the side of a reconstituted Baath? The US has been trying to (re)activate
some elements of the old Iraqi state apparatus, but does this mean they will
openly confront the Shiites?

The only thing that seems obvious to me is the fact that the US is not in
control of the situation, which means they have either the choice of
withdrawing (very unlikely) or sending in more troops and getting even more
deeper in the quaqmire.

Johannes