Africans and the industrial revolution

dmschanoes dmschanoes at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 4 06:43:24 MDT 2003

Just a brief note on the interesting article by Professor Inikori on slavery
and the development process in English history:

Prof Inikori telescopes three, although he claims two, centuries of
development into a single block of time with sections delineated not so much
by the rate of growth but by the absolute values, and these absolute values
are not related in his paper to the actual changes in the  economy.

For example in discussing the growth of multilateral Atlantic commerce, he
reports growth for a period of 300 years, broken into rather unusual
segments with only absolute values provided.

If you examine the annual rate of growth of this commerce, for the period
1550-1670, that value is approximately 4 percent; for 1670-1800, 9.5%; for
1800-1850, app 1.9%.

Clearly, in my opinion I hasten to add,  the significance cannot be simply
in the "explosive" growth of this trade as THE engine of economic expansion,
but rather the integration of this growth into the transformations of the
world economy precipitated by primary exchange between wage-labor and
capital.

The "hothouse" or "motor" effect of this trade is not in dispute, what is in
question is its viability of the primogenitor of wage-labor capitalism due
to the growth of this commerce.

dms