The importance of the antiwar movement

Gary MacLennan g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Sun Sep 7 19:18:30 MDT 2003

[ quoted text snipped ]

I am inclined to think that France and Germany - at least their governments
- are very willing to send troops.

What is keeping them from doing so now is that they are hard bargaining
with America.  They want their share of what Winston Churchill used to call
the 'glittering prizes'.

Meantime America's conservative leaders have large amounts of egg on their
faces.

However I do not see what is happening in Iraq has yet taken the form of a
true progressive anti-imperialist movement.  Such a movement would be the
long awaited pre-cursor to the Arab revolution.

However that does not imply in any way that the struggles that are taking
place do not have lots of progressive and radical potential.

regards

Gary