How to avoid getting sued by the RIAA

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Tue Sep 9 14:03:49 MDT 2003

on Fox News, of all places:

   NEW YORK - The music industry has turned its big legal guns on
   Internet music-swappers - including a 12-year-old New York City
   girl who thought downloading songs was fun.

   Brianna LaHara said she was frightened to learn she was among the
   hundreds of people sued yesterday by giant music companies in
   federal courts around the country.

   "I got really scared. My stomach is all turning," Brianna said last
   night at the city Housing Authority apartment where she lives with
   her mom and her 9-year-old brother.

   "I thought it was OK to download music because my mom paid a
   service fee for it. Out of all people, why did they pick me?"

   The Recording Industry Association of America (search) - a
   music-industry lobbying group behind the lawsuits - couldn't answer
   that question.

   "We are taking each individual on a case-by-case basis," said RIAA
   spokeswoman Amy Weiss.

[snip]

   "Nobody likes playing the heavy and having to resort to
   litigation," said Cary Sherman, the RIAA's president. "But when
   your product is being regularly stolen, there comes a time when you
   have to take appropriate action."

okay, Mr. Sherman.

les schaffer