Latinos in Iraq - some data

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 9 23:15:47 MDT 2003

I mentioned this the other day, but I think I was just speaking from a
general impression. Here's an article which backs up what I said:
----
Recent statistics from the Pew Hispanic Centre, a non-partisan think-tank,
show that Latinos are already doing the most dangerous combat jobs in
disproportionate numbers. While they are still under- represented in the
armed forces as a whole - they made up 9.4 per cent of enlisted men in 2001,
compared with 13.4 per cent of the general population - they are
over-represented in jobs that involve handling weapons (17.7 per cent).

In Iraq, the first US casualty was a Latino non- citizen, a Guatemalan
orphan raised in Los Angeles called Jose Gutierrez. Although a precise
breakdown of ethnic numbers is not available, the Pentagon's list of dead
and wounded has included dozens of Spanish names. At least 10 out of almost
300 dead have been non-citizens.
----
Full: http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/story.jsp?story=441886

(As I so often note on my blog, naturally this story is coming out in the
British press; we'll see if it makes it across the ocean)

http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es