Yeomanry in the New World

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Sep 10 13:10:29 MDT 2003

The other day Anthony asked me about some references to yeomanry as a
precapitalist social formation in the USA. While I could have mentioned
some left-academic sources, probably the best thing would be to cite
somebody whose text is online and who is also not what I would call an
academic, despite having a doctorate in Philosophy.

---

We have seen that the expropriation of the mass of the people from the
soil forms the basis of the capitalist mode of production. The essence
of a free colony, on the contrary, consists in this — that the bulk of
the soil is still public property, and every settler on it therefore can
turn part of it into his private property and individual means of
production, without hindering the later settlers in the same
operation.[10] This is the secret both of the prosperity of the colonies
and of their inveterate vice — opposition to the establishment of
capital. "Where land is very cheap and all men are free, where every one
who so pleases can easily obtain a piece of land for himself, not only
is labor very dear, as respects the laborer's share of the produce, but
the difficulty is to obtain combined labor at any price." [11]

As in the colonies the separation of the laborer from the conditions of
labor and their root, the soil, does not exist, or only sporadically, or
on too limited a scale, so neither does the separation of agriculture
from industry exist, not the destruction of the household industry of
the peasantry. Whence then is to come the internal market for capital?
"No part of the population of America is exclusively agricultural,
excepting slaves and their employers who combine capital and labor in
particular works. Free Americans, who cultivate the soil, follow many
other occupations. Some portion of the furniture and tools which they
use is commonly made by themselves. They frequently build their own
houses, and carry to market, at whatever distance, the produce of their
own industry. They are spinners and weavers; they make soap and candles,
as well as, in many cases, shoes and clothes for their own use. In
America the cultivation of land is often the secondary pursuit of a
blacksmith, a miller or a shopkeeper." [12] With such queer people as
these, where is the "field of abstinence" for the capitalists?

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1867-c1/ch33.htm

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org