Yeomanry in the New World

dmschanoes dmschanoes at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 10 17:03:18 MDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: <loupaulsen at comcast.net>
To: <marxism at lists.panix.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 4:47 PM
Subject: Re: Yeomanry in the New World

But... but how accurate a picture is this (of 'yeomanry' in the
non-plantation  states)?

Interesting point.  If this is the same E G Wakefield I've heard about, his
theories on colonization and economics were formed during a three year
prison stint around 1830 for bigamy I think.  His "theory" was produced as
he tried to convince the state of his rehabilitation.  What he actually knew
about conditions in the US is unclear.  Certainly we know that the growth of
capitalist agriculture and the manufacturing sector complement each other,
both tracking and stimulating the population growth, immigration, in and to
the North. .

dms